With one year of experience since the pandemic started, we should be all expert in the art of working from home.
But I feel there is always something we can improve and new tricks to be efficient are always welcome. Do you feel the same?
Here I share my good habits for working from home, I hope to hear from yours too!
1. Start the night before
Would you like to have a peaceful morning?
Start the day before:
- Choose your clothes
- Plan what tasks you will accomplish the next day
Waking up in the morning knowing exactly what to do gives me great peace of mind and motivation to start working.
Image: Anna Shvets
2. Get dressed and ready
Are you tired of running crazy when you have to an unexpected video call?
Stop embarrassing yourself:
- Fix your hair and face first thing in the morning
- Dress something comfortable but professional
When I dress professionally I feel my whole day is more productive and I love being ready in case I need to run a last minute errand or call someone on video
3. Clean your workspace
Got your work papers mixed with your bills and shopping lists again?
Do one thing at a time:
- File the papers you already finished working with
- Have a separate pile for papers not related to work
When my desk is clean and organized I don’t waste time time searching for anything. I like to clean and file papers as soon as I finish each task.
Image: Michael Burrows
4. Avoid being interrupted
Can’t focus on anything while working from home?
Stop stopping for everything:
- If possible, ask your family to don’t enter in the room where you are working
- Turn off notifications from all your apps
If everything fails and you still keep getting interrupted, try to do the “hard work” very early in the morning, before everybody wakes up
Image: Lascot Studio
5. Follow a schedule
Don’t have time to start or time to end your work?
Work smart, not hard:
- Divide your day into blocks of tasks
- Don’t stay on social media during your “production time” block!
Booking blocks of tasks is the best way to make sure I’m focused and I won’t skip important obligations
Image: Anete Lusina
6. Have a decent lunch
Are you eating in front of your computer or mobile?
Take a break to eat healthy:
- Make a beautiful plate and look at your food instead of looking at a screen
- Enjoy every bite and think about nutrition
Spending the whole day seated and eating from a box in front of the screen is the fastest way to lose energy and get stressed. It’s good to pause for eating!
Image: Valeria Boltneva
7. Connect with your online community
Do you spend days without talking to a human being?
Keep in touch with reality:
- Video call friends from your industry and catch up
- Interact with other professionals and increase your network online
While it’s nicer meeting colleagues for a coffee in person, online meetings are a true necessity during these pandemic times, don’t get isolated from your industry.
Image: Ivan Samkov
8. Know when to stop
Do you feel guilty when you are not producing?
Even machines need maintenance time!
- Finish your work on a decent time, organize for next day and let it go
- Plan relaxing and fun activities for your weekend.
If I’m productive in my “productive blocks” I feel I earned the right to rest and I relax guilty free. However not always we are productive and that’s ok! Relax now and organize better for tomorrow.
Image: Sam Lion
I hope you are having a great time in your home office. I love working from home and I feel I’m getting better at it! My main tips are:
- Start the night before
- Get dressed and ready
- Clean your workspace
- Avoid being interrupted
- Follow a schedule
- Have a decent lunch
- Connect with your online community
- Know when to stop
How about you? Tell me a tip on the comments!